Sunday, August 31, 2008

Cam Studio

I have been researching and testing computer screen capture programs. I found several, but they were all very costly. I would like to take what we learned about podcasting to the next level and create a YouTube type video/audio presentation. I would like to create an audio video learning tool. I found CamStudio at http://camstudio.org and this tool is available for free. It is what they call open-source. I was thinking of creating helpful tips on how to use free antivirus and anti-spyware applications. For example, SpyBot offers an anti-spyware tool that can check your computer system and remove any spyware it finds. It also has an immune system that will prevent spyware from infecting your computer.

TrendMicro also has an online tool that will scan your system for malware and is also free. Even if you have an antivirus application installed, this will give a second opinion. Lastly, I have been using Avast antivirus and find it just as affective in finding and preventing computer viruses, but this antivirus is free for personal use. They send you a registration code, once you register. This license is good for one year. But, after that year the person would just reregister. CamStudo can help me create instructional videos to do so.

2 comments:

Lyr Lobo said...

Love the streaming tool, although they really mean video capture to an .avi format, eh?

Any thoughts about video streaming service providers for hosting these custom videos?

I use Camtasia, Fraps and SnagIt for my video capture and custom screenshots. While they have trial versions, these packages are not free.

Do you like the virus checking products you reviewed? We're always on the lookout for new cool tools! Thanks!

Steve's CS855 Blog said...

I also looked quite a bit into free video editing software. I didn't come across this one, but did eventually find out that Microsoft includes one with Windows XP and later, called MovieMaker (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/default.mspx). It is actually a pretty good program and I wound up using it to create my podcast.